Travel | Simi Valley’s Strathearn Historical Park
Hispanic Lifestyle spent the afternoon at Simi Valley’s Strathearn Historical Park taping a segment for our television program.
At one time the area was know as El Rancho Simi and was the earliest Spanish colonial land grant within Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties. In 1795 it was given to members of the Pico family, likely to Santiago Pico and a partner, Luis Pena. It was one of the largest land grants ever made, approximately 113,000 acres. Later when Mexico became independent from Spain, land was handed out much more freely.
The most prominent name in connection with El Rancho Simi was that of Don Jose de la Guerra y Noriega of Santa Barbara, who at one time owned about one quarter of a million acres in the two counties. He was captain of the presidio at Santa Barbara and was also a good friend of the mission fathers.
On the day we were taping the community was gathering for an annual fundraiser known as the Friendship Tea at Strathearn Park. Below are pictures of the buildings, grounds and the Friendship Tea.
Strathearn Historical Park & Museum
137 Strathearn Place (MAP)
Simi Valley, California 93065
Museum Director and City Historian: Pat Havens
805-526-6453 – SimiMuseum@sbcglobal.net
[slickr-flickr tag=”svshpweb” type=”gallery” delay=”3″]