ENLACES Latino Community Forum | Coachella Valley
On behalf of Southern California Edison please accept our invitation to participate in the SCE ENLACES Latino Community Forum and Capacity-Building Workshop “Helping Our Communities Succeed and Strengthening the Nonprofit Sector” we will be holding on Friday, May 13, at the Doral Desert Princess Resort Hotel in Cathedral City. Attached is the program agenda.
We are holding the forum and workshop in the Coachella Valley to give increased attention to the needs and aspirations of the Latino community in the region as well as the Inland Empire. We are inviting staff, directors, and volunteers from Latino-serving nonprofits, faith-based groups, and business associations to confirm and to register online by clicking the link below.
Key SCE directors and managers will be discussing SCE programs and services for income-qualified families (discounts, payment assistance, medical baseline) as well as for small business customers. Our corporate contributions group and our director of corporate philanthropy for Edison, Tammy Tumbling, are confirmed to attend the morning program and lunch. There will be opportunities to talk with them and personalize applications for support from Edison. Our new Latina account executive for Latino business, Irma Horvath, will participate and so will the manager of our Supplier Diversity program, Joe Alderete, who will discuss contracting opportunities with Edison and other utilities.
With the help of the Regional Access Project Foundation based in Palm Desert we are offering a Capacity-Building Workshop for all nonprofits in the Coachella Valley and the Inland Empire as part of the forum. The workshop will provide valuable training on websites (the new business card) and social media from Trinidad Arredondo who works with Healthy Families Coachella Valley as well as on measurement strategies for impact in seeking funding..
There will be a step by step training session on how to apply online for an SCE grant and sponsorship as well as for an SCE computer donation (5 laptops or desktops). Every SCE service territory nonprofit (adjacent area nonprofits also may qualify) that attends and applies online for a computer donation will receive positive consideration. We hope this special opportunity and the workshop will help us attain the participation we seek and make a positive contribution to the Latino-serving nonprofit sector.
- Provide information about Southern California Edison’s (SCE’s) programs and services available to community organizations, faith-based groups, small businesses, and residential customers.
- Create, renew, and strengthen strategic relationships between Latino communities and SCE through networking and ongoing partnerships.
- Explore ways SCE can leverage opportunities to assist and better serve Latino communities and customers.
7:30 – 8:00 A.M. Registration and Continental Breakfast
8:00 – 8:05 A.M. Welcome and Introductions
- Fernando de Necochea, SCE Community Partnerships
8:05 – 8:15 A.M. Opening Remarks
- Veronica Gutierrez, SCE Vice President for Corporate Communications
- Henry Martinez, SCE Director of Grid Operations
8:15 – 9:15 A.M. Panel 1 Discussions – Moderator: Jennifer Menjivar, LPA Region Manager
SCE Economic Assistance and Discounted Rate Programs
- Payment Assistance – Linda Yamauchi, Manager, Consumer Affairs
- Income-Qualified and Discount Services – Flor Tolley, Manager, Income-Qualified Programs (CARE, FERA, Cool Centers)
- “Save Energy, Save Money” Programs – Richard Genece, Manager, Residential Programs Portfolio
- Smart Meters – Ken Devore, Director, Edison SmartConnect
- Q & A (20 minutes)
9:15 – 10:15 A.M. Panel 2 Discussions – Moderator: Lydia Roman, LPA Region Manager
SCE Customer and Community Programs
- Small Business Incentives – Irma Horvath, Account Executive, Business Customer Division
- Diverse Business Enterprise Contracting Opportunities – Joe Alderete, Manager, Supplier Diversity
- Grants and Sponsorship Opportunities – Tony Williams, Senior Manager, Community Involvement
- Q & A (20 minutes)
10:15 – 10:30 A.M. Break
STRENGTHENING OUR NONPROFIT SECTOR
10:30 – Noon Capacity-Building Workshop for Nonprofit Organizations (Part I)
- Overview of Required Financials – Corry Hunter, CPA
- Online Application Review – Elilzabeth Romero-Toledo, TCE Building Healthy Communities
- Measurement Strategies for Impact – Mary Panesar, Desert Community Foundation
Noon – 1:00 P.M. Lunch, Networking Opportunities, Program Sign-Ups
1:00 – 2:30 P.M. Capacity-Building Workshop for Nonprofit Organizations (Part II)
- Your Website: Your New Business Card – Kate Spade (invited), Regional Access Project Foundation
- Social Media Resources – Trinidad Arredondo, Building TCE Healthy Communities